Tuesday, October 27, 2009

16.5!!!!

Saturday Morning.

9:55am.

It was cold (50), cloudy, and a bit windy.

I ran 16.5 anyway!

I began by waking up around 7:45am, filling the coffee cup, and downing a bowl of Rice Chex cereal. I gave my system time to catch up and--sorry to be gross-- but clean out.

At the start, I decided to push it harder than last weekend's LD. I averaged an 8:40 pace-- holding it for Miles 1-10. I once again brought no gel packs, and stupidly consumed no water along the way. It didn't matter.

After mile 10 I felt great--no--amazing. I stepped it up averaging 8:10-- even hitting a few strides of 7:30's. By mile 15 I was beat and slowed it down to the 10:00/11:00 mark.

I finished at 2hrs 31m!!!! I am proud of that. If I can hold the pace I had for miles 1-10 and not try and push it-- I might make my goal.

next weekend: 18 miles!

10 comments:

  1. Congrats Patrick, that is impressive-especially with NO water!!! :D Definitely mind over matter, and this is a great example of that. You will kick 18 in the face-no problem. -happy running and keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is amazing! I can't believe you did it without water or GUey stuff. I've been so indoctrinated that I MUST have water, I'm afraid to leave home without it.

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work Patrick. 16.5 in 2:31 is pretty damned good. In fact, you're faster than me. My recent 16.8 was in 2:40.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome run-your time is really good! You've really progressed well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great workout Patrick! Make sure now as you lengthen your distance you don't go all out every time. You'll be like I was early on and leave your best performance on the training circuit and not on the race course!

    As far as post marathon blues... Yes they are there. I think it varies by person. One of my friends who ran the Nike Marathon has been hating on running for the past week. For me it's been more a physical thing. I'm still a little sore and creaky, and I find myself using that to make excuses for not getting out and running.

    This has happened before, and I've always snapped out of it by wetting some race goals and trying to hit them (hence the planning of races several months out). I think it's worse this time though, and a lot of that was because all the races I ran during the last cycle leading up to Long Beach were non-PR efforts. Got me a little down in the mouth heading into the final few weeks of training.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you Patrick! Just keep in mind that these are training runs so messing around with the pace is ok, just don't over do it.

    Can't wait to cheer you on at Disney!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on a great run! How do you do it without water or gels?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Patrick, well done, that's amazing! And a great time. You're well on your way to a pretty awesome marathon. When is it? It can't be long now...!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aren't long runs awesome? Can't wait to start my marathon training, Monday after Thanksgiving...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clean out huh? lol. I think you are the first who has actually posted anything like that. Well, the lighter you are, the better your running is.. Hey man, great posts, keep it up. Keep Running!

    ReplyDelete