Thursday, May 21, 2009

3 Days to 13.1

Funny story. I am tapering down my runs as I get closer to the big day but yesterday's was especially short!

My routine is as follows:

Get home, walk the dog, wash off the TV makeup, get into running gear, go outside to car (where I leave my MP3)-- lock car, put key fab in pocket-- take off.

I thought I did all of the above-- until about a half mile into the run when I realized I did not have my key! I panicked then BOOKED it back home, and low and behold-- there was my key fab sitting ONTOP of the car FREE for the taking.

I park out on the street-- in a city-- so I am lucky it was still there.

It was enough of a "run" for me-- Sprinting back the half mile-- wiped me out. I swear I was doing a 4 minute mile pace :)

I will go home tonight and attempt to run an easy 4 miles-- hopefully this one will be much less stressful.

By the way-- this week in Buffalo has been fan-super-tastic... sunny and 70's everyday-- the forecast for the race Sunday: a high of 71 and sunny. It should be around the mid 50's by takeoff at 7am.

6 comments:

  1. Patrick:

    Only a couple days to go. How exciting! You asked for some tips - grab a cold one:

    From Glover (The Competitve Runner’s Handbook):

    (1) First two miles – err on the side of caution. Warm up. Run these at slightly slower than goal pace.
    (2) The next four miles – settle in at goal pace.
    (3) If you are comfortable at this point, note your competitors around you. Latch onto a group tht is running at your pace. Share the energy. If you are not comfortable at this point, you probably set goals too lofty (I’ve never done that (roll eyes)). Back off the pace and conserve yourself. If you don’t back off, you will have a slow and miserable second half of the race.
    (4) At the half way point assess the situation. If all is good, get mentally tough for the next 4 miles. You will need to push a little harder becuase even though it may seem that you are running at pace, you are probably slowing down (along with everyone else around you). Pick out a runner close by (20 to 30 feet) and try to catch up over a longer distance. When someone passes you speed up a step or two (draft like a stock car).
    (5) You are at mile 10. The good news is you only have a 5K left! Gather your mental and physical resources and keep the pace. Steady as she goes for the next couple of miles.
    (6) Mile 12 – only one more to go! Anyone can do that right? Now – find a runner close by. Reel them in. Focus. Concentrate on good running form and controlled breathing.
    (7) Mile 13 – Only a couple hundred yards left. Time to push it with everything you got.

    If you’ve done a good job of tapering (like not running for a couple of days), you should be able to settle in at a goal pace of about 30 to 45 seconds faster than you would normally run your long run at. Like I say above – try it out the first couple of miles. If you feel comfortable, you can always push in the second half. But, if you go out too fast, mile 10 will have you cursing.

    Hydrate often, hydrate well! Gu or carbohydrates about every 4 miles.

    Nothing new. Do you hear?!? Nothing new. No new clothes, no new shoes, no new food.

    Have fun and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The weather sounds awesome for race day. I would much rather race when it is warm outside compared to cooler temperatures. You sound ready to go. I'm sure you'll do great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're as ready as you're going to be. Nothing you can do right now will improve your fitness. So, rest. Never, ever underestimate the power of fresh legs. Follow Glenn's advice and you'll have a great race. I very much look forward to the race report. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're going to have a fantastic race! Good luck and I can't wait to read your race report.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, at least you didn't end up running in your makeup! What a sweaty mess that would have been!!

    I'm glad your car was still there. I hate that feeling of panic you must have felt for a while, there.

    Have a wonderful couple days until your half marathon!! I'm excited to hear how it goes. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck tomorrow! Most important - have fun!

    ReplyDelete