Monday, May 11, 2009

Cheat Days and The 10 miler

I'll begin by telling you about yesterday... mmmmmm.. yesterday. I have chosen Sunday as my cheat day, ya know, the "I will eat whatever I want and however much I want" day. Needless to say, I love Sundays.



When I say cheat-- it's only with food. I still run on Sundays and got in a good 4 miler yesterday. After that-- it was Farm fresh eggs and bacon. For lunch and dinner: a LARGE Italian submarine, with three kinds of meat, mayo, oil, the works! My desert?



Nestle Ultimate chocolate chip cookies! I went to bed with a huge smile on my face.

Some people scoff at cheat days. Those strict nutritionists who say there is no room for that kind of eating any day of the week, month, or year. I disagree and in fact, have been successful working in a day of gluttony.

I decided to "go nutz" one day per week when I started to stop losing weight. Someone mentioned that I was not consuming enough calories forcing my body to store fat. They suggested breaking the rules for one day to reset my metabolism. This was not hard and it is working. I began to drop the pounds again!

Today-- it's back to a healthy menu but it's not so bad. Today, is Turkey Chili!

Now, for that 10 miler-- I am running one today after work. That's it. Writing about Sunday is sooo much more interesting :)

How about you other runners out there, do you have a cheat day?

5 comments:

  1. I'm so with you on the cheat day thing! When I can't have something, I crave it even more. At least with a cheat day, there is something to look forward to!

    I love those Tollhouse break & bake cookies!

    Hope you have a great 10 miler! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't say I have a cheat day so much a cheat weeks. Really, I'm in a cheat month right now. During these time periods, I don't worry so much about missing runs and I drink more than I probably should. I've never had much problem with eating though. I guess everyone has their own vices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your cheat day Patrick, I think it's such an ace idea.

    I had a cheat weekend, I think! Way too much chocolate (Ritters Sport Praline...mmmm).

    Good luck with your ten miler! That's almost a half marathon! Can't wait to hear how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I found is when I started concentrating on performace instead of weight loss, I increased miles and intensity and the wight really rolled off. I've dropped 9 lbs in the last 12 weeks without really watching the diet - just eating sensibly.

    My next goal? Normally I would be running the San Diego Rock n Roll Marathon the first weekend of June, but a groin pull back in Dec/Jan put the kabosh on that. I have a hike up to Mt. Whitney (the highest point in the Continental U.S. (14,505)), on Labor Day weekend. That's going to take some time away from running as I do some hiking and backpacking at altitude. That's my next goal "event".

    Depending on how things go, I *may* run the Long Beach (CA) Marathon in October.I'll see how I feel and how much training I can put in between now, Mt. Whitney, and then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the way you think! Moderation is the key. If you limit yourself too much then you'll break and you'll end up having that cheat day every day! Was your mouth ringed in chocolate as you slept with that smile on your face? LOL!!

    ReplyDelete