Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I Didn't Do it!

As I told you in my post yesterday I had planned to run 10 miles today. I didn't......

I ran 11!!!!!!!!

Even more impressive, to me anyways, is the time I finished, 1hr 28min!

The run was amazing. It was a beautiful Buffalo night-- temperatures in the 60's, a steady breeze, sunny, and the smell of spring flowers filled the air.

At mile 9-- I felt a sense of utter euphoria! I have heard other runners describe the moment-- When they feel almost detached from their bodies-- floating-- (I swear I did not smoke anything wacky before hand!). It really was a cool feeling-- I felt incredible-- and I definitely had it in me to go for 3 more miles. I chose not to because I really want my upcoming half marathon to be the very first time I run 13.1 miles. I want that day to mean something-- after all -- it is the reason for all of this work.

Today after work-- 5 Miles, easy
Weds: 3miles- 5k pace, 3 easy
Thursday: 7 easy
Friday: rest
Saturday: 5 miles easy

6 comments:

  1. Wow...I can't imagine at this point in my training just deciding to "go an extra mile." Good for you! I think it's cool that you're "saving yourself" for the half! And I've always heard about that sense of euphoria...still waiting...it took you until 9 miles? Guess I had better learn to be patient!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Patrick - that's awesome. And you experiences Runners High? I can't wait for that.

    Thanks for such an awesome post - I'm about to head off for my run now, great to have that post in my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, where did you come from? 11 miles at 8 minute mile pace? I wasn't turning those in until November of last year and I pulled off a 1:38:54 in my first half marathon in January. My PR may be in danger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo!! I bet you didn't know you are such an able, awesome runner!

    Good thing that half marathon is so close... you won't be able to keep yourself a 13.1 "virgin" for much longer! ha ha ha... just had to say it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patrick - rowing vs. running. Assuming 10 min/mile, you burn around 600 calories an hour. ON the ergometer, it's closer to 750. So yes, the calorie burn is higher. But, most people would have trouble lasting an hour on a erg machine.

    ReplyDelete