Thursday, April 23, 2009

Most Embarrassing Songs. Whats on Your IPOD?

I have to steal a thought from my new pal Sara Jones who writes "Rookie On The Run" (check it out-- great blog)! She had mentioned in one of her previous posts that she often thinks about her new "blogging friends" during her own experiences. I realize I now do the same.

First, on a personal note-- I think it's amazing how helpful each of you has been as we all train for something better. I thank you for that and I hope you know-- you really do keep me motivated. I really do often find myself thinking about all of you. For instance: How would The Running Fat Guy handle this run? Or, I wonder how Brian (A Runner's Blog)is doing in his race? How Did Melanie (Mel Tries to Run) handle her first 5K?, etc, etc.

Once again, today, I thought of you while on my run-- but it had nothing really to do with running or performance- I wondered what was on everyone's IPOD!!!

I have to admit, there are some pretty embarrassing songs on my IPOD. Songs I really wouldn't like the world to know. In fact-- some of the songs, if publicized to close friends and family, would bring about endless abuse and ridicule.

My favorite musician of ALL time is Dave Matthews (I do NOT hide that fact) but only 1 of his songs is in the "running folder"-- songs I play only when on a run. Since my family and friends do not subscribe to my blog (I'd like to keep it that way) I feel ok sharing my songs with all of you-- on one condition, If you share yours first. I know, pretty low of me-- but I have to make sure I don't walk the plank alone.
We can call it M.U.M.E.S.(rhymes with FUMES!)

M. my
U. ultimate
M. most
E. embarrassing
S. song

I will give you a hint-- My "Mumes"-- has a title which rhymes with MOP, it was released in 1997, and the group consists of three no longer famous brothers.. That's all I am giving you-- will release more when I hear from you :) Who will be the first and the bravest-- I have a feeling Sara will not have a problem with this one :) Extra credit to those of you who crack my mystery, good luck!

11 comments:

  1. That must be mmmbop, by Hanson (the three brothers who lost their mojo to the Jonas brothers, not the two brothers who coach runners).

    This calls for a meme (a questionnaire that spreads virally among bloggers who tag other bloggers to answer - for the unitiated). I'll post my list on my blog tonight and tag a few others.

    Two weeks blogging and you've already started a meme, sir. That may be a record.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! GREAT post! Thanks for the confidence in me... I DO have a few embarrassing songs! Nothing quite as embarrassing as Mmmmbop, though. ;)

    I'll give you a few I feel a little silly about having on my iPod:

    1. Come on Eileen- Dexy's Midnight Riders

    2. Walking on Sunshine- Katrina & the Waves

    and probably my most embarrassing...3. Take a Chance on Me by ABBA*

    *This has nothing to do with the movie Mama Mia. I've never seen it and probably never will (I really dislike musicals).

    I have very low tolerance for music I don't like but some songs just so perfect for running!

    By the way... I love Dave Matthew Band, too. Definitely one of my favorites!

    And thanks for mentioning my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job Brian! Yup MMbop-- I don't know why and I HATED The song when it came out-- but, now I think it's pretty cool to run to-- I am heading to your blog now for your dirty secret.

    Sara-- I don't think any of your songs are embarrassing-- ok, maybe ABBA-- but I still think it's better then Hanson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, the post is up: http://www.arunnersblog.com/most-embarassing-songs/. I used to have mmmbop on my playlist, but I guess I outgrew it :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely post!

    Hanson to run to... I'll have to give that a go.

    Part of my job is to be "cool" with music, so let's hope none of my bosses read this post :)

    The most cheesy song I have on my running playlist is "Let's Get Loud" by J-Lo. The rest, I have to confess, are pretty cool for a former Barbra Streisand loving geek.

    However! My warm up/down playlist? It's filled to the brim with uncool. "Back For Good" by Take That (what a song! I can listen to that five times a day and still love it), "My Love" by Westlife (has a key change that gives you the extra oomph for that bit extra),"Love Will Keep Us Together" by the Captain and Tennile, "That's Life" by Frank Sinatra" (actually, that's kinda cool, isn't it)??

    While we're chatting about the Dave Matthews Band, one of my favourite songs to run, dance, sing with is his version of "Say Goodbye" on Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds Live at Luther College. Have you guys heard that?! It's gold. And I'm putting it out there - I think a lot better than the studio version!

    So fess up Patrick! What else is on your daggy list?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also posted the following on Brian's post

    Here it goes:

    1.) Mmmbop, (Hanson)
    2.) Warrior (scandal)
    3.) You Can't Stop The Beat (Hairspray Movie)
    4.) My Life would Suck Without you (Kelly Clarkson)
    5.) and right up there with Hanson: "Believe it or not" (Greatest American Hero theme)

    Melanie-- I think Brian has both you and Sara trumped on the MUMES-- one hint: Hannah Montana! Check out his blog, it's great!

    Sara-- I re-read your response and I am actually downloading Come on Eileen in the morning-- That's a great song!

    Keep it coming-- This is great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Believe it or not, I'm walking on air
    Never thought I could feel so free-ee-ee."

    It's been ages since I've heard that one! It brings me back to 5th grade... I think that song was on the radio 24/7, along with "Jessie's Girl" by Rick Springfield. Hey, there's one for your iPod!

    I'll have to check out the MUMES blog... sounds like a fun one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay - I've been tagged by Brian. I'll need to look at my iPOD for my MUMES!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh - and did you get your question answered about adding speedwork? The answer is - whenever you want, but keep in mind it's purpose and don't discount more general aerobic miles. Put in the miles and your 2 hour half marathon will be a snap!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL! Great post, and great idea...

    I also have Walking on Sunshing (Katrina and the Waves) on my ipod, but I'm not embarassed about it. I have Dancing Queen by Abba too. Not embarassed about that, either.

    Hmmmm... maybe I'm not easily embarassed enough to have a most embarassing song. Although, if some of the ladies in my church knew that I loved to run to Animal by Nickelback and Crazy Bitch by Buckcherry, that would be embarassing. I guess it depends on the audience.

    Hannah Montana? NO WAY! I must go check out this meme!

    ReplyDelete
  11. John Denver-both Sunshine and Annie's Song. I make no apologies for my taste in music. I figure since I also have Sympathy for the Devil by the Stones and a couple of Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath songs, it all balances out. I also have some pretty good bagpipe tunes. Somehow, they put a bounce in my step during a long run-go figure.

    ReplyDelete